Retrospective analysis of traumatic dental injuries in the western black sea region of Turkey

Gokcek M., Durmuslar S., Kokturk F.

NIGERIAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PRACTICE, cilt.23, ss.84-90, 2020 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 23 Konu: 1
  • Basım Tarihi: 2020
  • Doi Numarası: 10.4103/njcp.njcp_230_19
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.84-90


Background: The incidence of traumatic dental injuries is affected by social, environmental, and socioeconomic variables. For this reason, epidemiological studies are an important tool for increasing social consciousness and guiding the necessary precautions about trauma. Objectives: The study aims to analyze the epidemiological and clinical data of traumatic dental injuries in patients attending Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Bulent Ecevit University, from around Zonguldak, over a period of 3 years (between January 2014 and January 2017). Materials and Methods: Data obtained from trauma charts were analyzed for age, sex, the time elapsed between injury and referral to the clinic, cause of trauma, number, and type of the teeth, type of the trauma, treatment, and seasonal distribution. Results: In all, 188 patients, including 120 boys and 68 girls with a total of 316 traumatized teeth were evaluated. Most (61.7%) of the patients were 7-12 years old (the remaining 38.3% were 1-6 years old). The main cause of injury in both genders was falling. The most common types of trauma were subluxation in primary teeth and enamel dentin fracture in permanent teeth. In the primary dentition, examination and follow-up were the most applied treatments, whereas in permanent dentition, restorative treatments were the most applied treatments. Conclusion: Early intervention is important for the prognosis of the injured tooth. However, except for severe injuries, the rate of referral to the clinic after trauma was low. Therefore, the level of social awareness and knowledge of trauma should be increased.